Sunday, May 24, 2009

The Proof is in the Paint

I had a rather eventful evening on Thursday. Fiona had a friend come over after school. About 6pm her friend's father was on his way to come get her. I was on the phone just finishing up with directions when Kennedy screamed, "I just stepped in wet paint". I hung up the phone and remembered that about 5 minutes prior to Kennedy's scream, Porter came running upstairs and headed to his room. I went downstairs to find a huge puddle of white paint on the dark green carpet. Granted, this is just a carpet scrap that keeps their feet from freezing, but still. Three paint cans lay on their side and one's cap was cracked open just enough to leak.

I got Fiona's friend off with her dad and set off to find the truth. All fingers pointed to Porter so I made him come downstairs and talk to me while I tried to clean the mess. I asked him why he was playing with the paint cans and he replied, "I build a tall tower, it fall down." I then told him he had boxes of blocks, why paint cans. "They're bigger." Now, I knew he didn't mean to spill the paint, but the bottome line is that the paint cans are Daddy's and he's not allowed to play with Daddy's stuff.

3 hours, 4 buckets full of water, 2 1/2 rolls of paper towels, and one full shop vac the mess was pretty much gone. I didn't yell at Porter but grounded him from checking out movies and books from the library. (trust me, this is a big deal for him; sidenote - I made a point to go the library the next day so he couldn't check anything out - does that make me mean?)

I sat down at 9pm to finally eat my salad. The frustration wore off and I started giggling. I hope his inquistive mind can be put to good use one day.

Another bit about my Porterman is that he has been asking for a shirt and tie to wear to church. I finally remembered to get him one. He looked so handsome today, I thought I'd share.



See...it's kinda hard to be mad at that face for too long!

5 comments:

  1. i had fun playing on the "slide" downstairs with him and Griffin. and he looks like one handsome boy. =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha oh gosh beck! I give you thumbs up to the whole grounding punishment...i promise when I get home i will take the kids out as much as possible and wear them out...love you lots!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He's going to be an architecht one day or a rocket scientist, you just wait and see Mom, all that mischief will be put to good use :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cute picture! LOL on the paint cans. Brenna gives herself 'Tiger Stripe Tattoos' all the time but luckily it's always been washable marker...so far. Good call on the library. More funny than mean, but the incident was fresh in his mind, and if you delayed it wouldn't have been!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, that boy IS handsome! What a story... frustrating & funny all the same time. Oh, the life of a mom!

    ReplyDelete