Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Patting myself on the back...

Awhile ago at Stake Conference one of the speakers read a quote, "Fix it up, wear it out, make it do or do without." I'm usually pretty good at pinching pennies but with school too many things got pushed aside. Now with some time on my hands, I decided to put those words into action.

The past couple of days, I have patched my favorite jeans and broke out the sewing machine. I love the brand Silver jeans but as some of you know they are very expensive. Between rummage sales and Goodwill I've come across some nice namebrand pants including Silvers and Guess. (...the most expensive being $4...and I don't think the pants have ever been worn...) The one problem I always run into is the length. I'm short. (...sorry to state the obvious...) Now that schools out, I brought out all of the mending and hemming. I have 4 new (to me) pairs of jeans and a pair of shorts.

Some of you are scratching your heads not realizing that I had aquired the talent of sewing. I thank my Grandmother's Cope and Larson who forced me to listen and watch them sew.

The hemming and mending isn't the coolest part. My boys needed some curtains for their rooms. They keep waking up at the crack of dawn. I wanted to get them some good insulated/thick curtains to help with the sunshine in the summer and the cold air in the winter. When I priced them out, it would cost me close to $40. No way.

Today, I went to Wal-Mart and found some nice thick fabric on sale (a nice boyish maroon, dark olive green, light olive green striped) and commenced to make curtains. They work great and make it nice and dark in their room . The true test will be how early they wake up tomorrow morning.

Sorry about tooting my own horn but I am pretty pleased with myself and thought I'd share.

4 comments:

  1. I want to see pictures of your curtains!! I love to see people's handiwork! Good for you!! Sounds like I need to find out what is so great about Silvers jeans. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to work on curtains for our living room and Cami's room. Right now there are blankets and sheets up on the rods. I'm pondering what color schemes I should go with that will lighten up the rooms - they both have wood paneling. Ew.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand. I sewed curtains for my boys room and had to take all friends and neighbors in see my handiwork...its so rare a thing! Good for you, Beck. You should be proud!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Job Beck! As I was reading the blog I was almost waiting for you to tell us that you took the pieces of jeans that you cut off to hem and made those into your boys curtains!? Sorry that would be crazy :)

    ReplyDelete