Sunday, May 17, 2009

Graduation

Well, I did it. Yesterday (Saturday) was my graduation from UW Green Bay. I was intially very upset because I was told I was uneligible to graduate with honors. UWGB policy states that you must attain 60 credits from UW the semester before graduation. I only had about 58. So I was told that not only would I not recieve my honor cords but that it would not say with honors on my transcript. I whined and complained to my counselor and eventually just sucked it up and moved on.

I recieved a very pleasant surprise as I was thumbing through the program booklet at graduation. In the honors section, under Magna Cum Laude was "Rebecca Phillips Hoffman". I quickly hunted down my counselor before everything started and showed it to her. She tried to explain to me that I would have honors listed on my transcript but no cords. Whatever, all I know is I worked hard and am glad I got some recognition. However, I must admit I cringed everytime they said a graduates name and their honors knowing they wouldn't be saying anything about me. It's an ego thing, I know.

Speaking of ego...could they make graduation gowns anymore unflattering. I was so close to breaking out my sewing machine and doing some serious alterations...little black dress anyone? ...and the hat...I have no suggestions....

Thank you to everyone who has helped and encouraged me while working on this endeavor. Thank you to my wonderful sister-in-law Jill who accompanied Jake so he didn't have to sit alone during then entire 2 1/2 graduation (yep, that's how long it was). Most especially, thank you to my wonderful husband who has supported and encouraged me these past couple of years. I smiled as all of us graduates were entering into the Kress center and I caught Jake's eye. I'm not positive but I think I saw tears in his eyes and I had to remind him to take a picture of me. :)
Here are a few pics from Graduation.

Jake also got a clip of me getting my diploma. Notice the awesome catcall when they say my name. (Thanks Jill!)


6 comments:

  1. You are my hero!! What an amazing accomplishment with FOUR KIDS!!! I'm so proud of you. Did either of your parents make it out for graduation?? What is your degree in?? It's got to be something with art.

    I've always talked about getting my masters... Maybe when the kids are all in school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BA of Fine Art. My parents couldn't make it. My Dad & Charlotte came for Kennedy's bapstism in December so I knew they wouldn't be here. I'll be getting my Master's in English with an emphasis in Literature. My goal is to be able to teach Humanities courses in college..or work for a publishing company. You never know what life holds.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hurry for you! I am so proud of you. How did you manage with 4 kiddos at home? You husband must have been a huge help and support through it all. Congrats to you! You should be very proud!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so happy for you! I know how difficult it is to get your degree with a family (minus kids).

    You are amazing! Congrats dear!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beck you are awesome!! Way to go, we are all proud of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you! That's AWESOME! :)
    -jd

    ReplyDelete