Saturday, October 2, 2010

Fight like a girl!


Okay, so I should warn you, this is going to be a venting post....

I have had the opportunity in these past years to go to school. I'm always entertained by the way people think things SHOULD be. There are some who tell me, "Good for you. (for going to school) You can't let yourself be lost as a just a mom." Then, there have been others who have said, "I want to go back to school but my kids come first."

The world would have us believe that women should be equal to men. That children are a way to hold us back; hold us down. Family is second to career. I disagree with all of that.

Some well-meaning people out there think that women should forego their identity after having children. Children and husband are the priority, you are last on the list (if you're on the list at all). I disagree with all of that.

In my years of school, I have been bombarded with unsolicited advice. Such advice usually leaves me feeling a bit beat up. I really don't need anyone to make me feel inferior or inadequate...I do good enough job of that on my own!

On a particular trip to our local library, I parked out front (I usually park in back). I was frustrated, worried...you know, all of the mom feelings. I stepped on the sidewalk and happened to look down at writing that had been spray painted on the sidewalk. The words said, "Fight like a girl!" I think that is a fabulous advice!!!!

I am a mother, a wife, a sister, a daughter, a friend and most importantly...I am ME! I do not feel inferior to men, and certainly don't want to be treated like one! I do not believe Heavenly Father intends for us to "lose" ourselves in marriage, motherhood or anything else. I believe he intends for us to "find" ourselves in it all.

Thank heavens for General Conference. It has reminded me to fight like a girl and not get beat up by what everyone thinks I should or should not be. I know who I am and what I need to do for myself and my family.

So, I'm ready to fight. Anyone with me? :)

5 comments:

  1. Becky, I love you!! You keep on being you, and I will keep on looking up to you!

    I think you are right. I want my kids to know who I am, what I like, what I want, what I can do, and I think they will respect me for it. It may sound a little narcissistic, but I want them to be like me, and being a woman that can "fight like a girl" is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beck, people always have something to say. The bottom line is you are doing what's best for YOU and YOUR FAMILY. I know you, girl. I know you do not make decisions lightly, especially ones that affect your family. You keep on fighting! We all do it every day in our own way. And you're right, we are still "finding ourselves" and as soon as we do, we'll move on to the next stage and begin the search all over. Thanks goodness! I am so glad to be better than I was in HS, college, and so on. Maybe as a grandma I'll finally have it all together...well, just as the rest of my body starts to fall apart. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You Rock Beck! I'm right with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. :) Your adorable.

    I was all ready to pump you up, but you already have a soap box. :)

    We are raising a different generation of children right now, and especially with girls, we need to show them (by example) that women can be both- moms and educated (gasp- even employed... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Beck how I love you! You're such an "amazing" (Kim's voice) example to me!!! You rock woman and if anyone can do it all...you can! I love you :)

    ReplyDelete