Sunday, February 1, 2009

Goldie, September 08- February 09, Rest in Peace

This morning, as Fiona and I were going to feed our fish, Goldie, we were shocked to find the fishbowl empty. From the first day we brought Goldie home, Doodles our cat, has jumped onto the countertop to bat around the fish and drink the water out of the bowl. I have sprayed her with a spray bottle, swatted her with newspaper, but at night I frequently hear her jump down from the countertop. Our only explaination for Goldie's disappearance, is that she currently resides in Doodles' belly.
As can be expected, Fiona was very upset. We made this discovery 30 minutes before time to leave for church. I held her while she cried and tried to explain to her that Doodles couldn't help it. I told her that Doodles likes fish as much ash she likes candy, or whipped cream in a can. She understood, a little, but still needed to cry. After a couple of minutes, she wiped her eyes and told me, "Mom, it's starting to get warmer outside and the fair will be coming soon. I will do my best to win another fish." (She won Goldie at last year's fair)
She then gave me a hug, stood up and walked into the kitchen where Doodles was sitting. She stood in front of Doodles only for a second. (I wondered if I was going to have to save Doodles' life...) She very sternly poked Doodles in the shoulder and said, "That was naughty! You don't eat my fish! I am very angry!!!...I still love you but I am very angry!"
So, Fiona is okay, but she is still a bit sad. She loves animal and all other creatures. In all the sadness for Goldie's death, Fiona made me giggle and smile at her ability to bounce back and her willingness to forgive. If only we could all have those abilities and take them with us throughout all our lives!

3 comments:

  1. Oh no! Poor Gracie Lou! Tell her Auntie is very proud of her for being a big girl (I probably would've gave Doodles a swift kick in the rear!)

    RIP Goldie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Gracie! Jake called me tonight and told me and I just got so sad for Grace...that darn doodles. I am proud to say that I look up to my niece when it comes to forgiving! Hope she gets to win another gold fish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd mail her another one...but that would require another explaination about how fish and the US Postal system don't get along. What a sweetie!
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete