Friday, February 6, 2009

If cleanliness is next to Godliness what does that say about me?

My day consists of waking up at 6:30, getting the girls off to school. A couple days a week I add Porter into the mix and take him to school. Once home, the morning is spent doing regular cleaning chores so that when Gryffin lays down I can do my homework. I have gotten very discouraged lately as my extra time is becoming shorter and shorter (says the woman spending her free time blogging and not cleaning.....) with a full load of classes. By 6pm, you can no longer tell that any cleaning has been done. I wondered why does this happen day after day? I have good kids who do fairly well at cleaning after themselves. So out of curiosity, I took a picture at 11am after I was all done cleaning. Then, I took one at 3:45 when everyone was home.

When looking at the pictures, all I could think about was a poem my sister used to have hanging up. (...do you still have this Lisa?) "Trying to clean while your children are growing is like trying to shovel while it's still snowing." Having moved to WI has given this poem even more meaning. Perhaps, there will be a time, when I can walk through the living room without puncturing my foot on a tractor. I'm sure when that time comes I will miss these memories.....right?

6 comments:

  1. Thanks so much Beck. I fully understand. My foot is still sore from the teeny tiny lego that I found this morning under a blanket. I have just spent the morning scouring the bathrooms...they really did need it, and all I could think about was how quickly they would be dirty again! Sometimes (all the time)I feel there really aren't enough hours in the day and I am just wasting my time cleaning! Oh well. Maybe, just maybe I'll get a shower before my kids get home...doubtful. Here's to being a MOM! I know we both really do love it...minus the cleaning.
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kids are mostly grown and my house still looks like a mess. Most days we can't find the top of the kitchen table. Actually, I think it was easier when they were little cause most of the mess was shoes and toys...easy stuff to put away. Now it's other people's mail. Do I keep it or toss it? Do I look forward to the day when my nest is empty? You bet I do! Then I'll know who made the mess and who should clean it up. Keep on keepin' on. Being a mom is the greatest job ever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey you!!! I can't believe I found your blog! You look awesome!! I don't know if you've heard or not, but my husbands best friend is Josh Robinson, Amy's bro. She always asks me how you are doing, and sadly, I don't think I've talked to you in at least 8 years or more!! How's life? You have a beautiful family!! Check out my little blog! www.mattandbrianna.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This too shall pass and what's my excuse, my kids are older than yours?? You are such a talened, beautiful person & a spiritual inspiration to me, who cares really about a little clutter??

    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I often wonder the same thing, then I realized I clean so when Neal askes "what did you do today?" I can honestly say "i CLEANED, can't you tell"?

    At least you are able to study in a clean free environment for a short time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know if I still have that little sign, I remember it though and it is very true unfortunately!! I feel the same way, between trying to keep the house clean, keep up with all my kids activities, and do my church callings, I don't think there is any time left for me unless I just TAKE that time. Keep shoveling and keep smiling!
    Love Ya

    ReplyDelete