Monday, August 17, 2009

Praises of Family Home Evening

Our Monday has not been the best. There has been fighting, whining and crying...ALL DAY. By dinnertime I think we had all had it. I even had to start yelling. That is something I don't like to do - it make me too cranky. Don't get me wrong...I'm pretty good at it. If it were an Olympic sport I would be a returning champion many times over...but, I digress. We were supposed to have FHE but I was not in the right frame of mind and knew the lesson I had planned was not the one that needed to be given.

**For my wonderful friends who are not LDS, we have been counseled to set aside one night a week (Monday) as family night. We have lessons, sing church songs and even have a treat.

Everyone took their baths/showers and got ready for bed. We calmed down and listened to Fiona practice the piano. Once we all got in a better frame of mind and mood we sat down. Our lesson was how we talk to others and how that makes others talk to us. Our challenge (and I mean everyone!) is simply to remember to say "Please" or "Thank you". Each time I hear one of these wonderful things I will put a check mark by their names. It was so nice to close by singing "Families can be together forever". Almost immediately following the lesson a wonderful change of air blew in. And, by the end of our closing song, we all felt much more peaceful. Porter said the closing prayer and he made sure to remind us to be friends and to "say please to play with my tractors".

I'm so thankful for the inspiration and revelation of FHE. It is one of the quickest ways to bring all of us back to where we need to be. Now, I don't need to accept my earlier nominations of meanest mom ever and most likely to pop a vein in my neck while yelling.... :)

4 comments:

  1. Revelation is amazing! It's great to hear postive stories like this.....I hope the positive, happy feeling in your home sticks around. You are such a good mom & those kids are darling!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank goodness for FHE! Also, glad to hear we're not the only ones who seem to lose it on Mondays. I try and make a special effort to cook something everyone likes (nothing like a pre-FHE dinner battle) and have a lesson ready to go. If I don't prepare well, the whole night is a bust! Keep up the good work, Beck. You're a great mom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are such a good mommy!!! Your kids are blessed to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am going to come back to your blog and read your experience every Monday! Why is it that Monday's are the hardest and seem like the most impossible days to have FHE? Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete