Friday, July 17, 2009

A new addition to our family....

Hee, hee....before you too excited I'm not talking about a baby. Any of you who know my Fiona very well, know that she is a lover a all creatures great and small (furry and creepy). Recently a very mean stray cat was prowling around our house and Uncle Jerod & Aunti Shel's. The stray ended up having babies in Uncle Jerod's garage. There the stray and most of the babies met there demise. They were all very wild...one even took a good bite out of Jake's finger. In the past week two of the babies have been wandering and mewing around our wood pile. They would run anytime I'd open the door or walk (and yell) toward them.

Apparently, the reason they keep coming back is because in the past couple of days Fiona took it upon herself to try and feed them. The charcoal one "was the mean one mom and the nice one kept running away from it. I knew I had to help it. It was crying for me." The nice one has "pretty blue eyes and likes me". With their mother gone I knew it would be a matter of time before they were gone. The charcoal one was found over by Grandma's house today, dead.

Now, I do not have a heart of ice but I am not a big animal fan. I do, however, love my daughter very much. So, after much pleading, I let her take a small dish of cat food out to the wood pile. I stood back and was amazed how this kitten would walk around and purr on Fiona but when any of the rest of us came near it darted. It didn't hesitate to let her pick it up and pet it. So, unfortunately we now have (an outside one!) a new kitten...named Troy. He has a box with a diaper rag near the wood pile. We even sprayed flea and tick spray on it. That was mainly for my peace of mind and not the health of the kitten. I just hope to heaven Troy can survive outside and doesn't annoy the heck out of me. We already have Doodles, the inside cat. She is not so found of other animals.

Tonight, after we got Troy set up with his makeshift bed, I called her inside to come take a shower. I stood on the deck and listened to her say, "It's okay Troy. You're safe now. I will take care of you. You're not alone anymore."

Oh, Fiona. This ought to be interesting.

1 comment: